|1988||Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Department of Plant Pathology)|
|1984||M.S., Clemson University (Department of Plant Pathology & Physiology)|
|1981||B.S., Springfield College, Springfield, MA (Department of Biology)|
|September 2004-Present||Professor, Department of Entomology & Plant Pathology, Auburn
|October 1999-August 2004||Associate Professor, Department of Entomology & Plant Pathology,
Auburn University, AL
|July 1994-September 1999||Assistant Professor, Department of Plant Pathology, Auburn University,
|October 1991-July 1994||Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Plant Breeding and
Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
|January 1988-October 1991||Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Plant Pathology, University of
Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Nubia Velásquez (2008-2011)
- Jongkit Masiri, Ph.D. student (2006-2010)
- Willis Hatcher III, M.Ag. student (2009)
- Clint Warren, M.S. student (2000-2002)
- Hernan Garcia-Ruiz, M.S. student (1998-2000)
- Pamela Hughes, M.S. student (1995-1997)
- Michael Guerini, M.S. student (1995-1997)
- Mahefa Andrianifahanana, M.S. student (1994-1996)
Plant Virology. Studies focus on the nature of virus disease symptoms and resistance to virus infection, and development of management strategies for insect-borne plant viruses.
- Plant Virology
- Departmental seminar
- Pernezny, K., Roberts, P., Murphy, J.F., and Goldberg, N. 2003. Compendium of Pepper Diseases. American Phytopathological Society Press, St. Paul, MN.
- Chapters within:
Murphy, J.F., and Warren, C.E. Plant virus diseases, pages 23-25. Murphy, J.F. Cucumber mosaic virus, pages 29-31.Murphy, J.F., and Zitter, T.A. Pepper mottle virus, pages 33-34.
BOOK CHAPTERS AND REVIEW ARTICLES
- Murphy, J.F. 2006. Applied aspects of induced resistance to plant virus infection. In: Natural Resistance Mechanisms Of Plants To Viruses. Chapter A1, pages 1-11. Springer Publishing, Netherlands. Editors: G. Loebenstein and J.P. Carr. 532 pages.
- Sikora, E.J., and Murphy, J.F. 2005. Identification and management of Cucumber mosaic virus in Alabama. Acta Horticulturae 695:191-194.
REFEREED ARTICLES (RECENT FIVE YEARS)
- Murphy, J.F., Morawo, T., Monday, T., Lau, J., Foshee, W., and Fadamiro, H. 2015. Biologic formulations but not an inter-row living ground cover of rye reduced incidence of Tomato spotted wilt virus in tomato. Accepted in: International Journal of Vegetable Science.
- Velasquez, N., Hossain, M.J. and Murphy, J.F. 2015. Differential disease symptoms and full-length genome sequence analysis for three strains of Tobacco etch virus. Virus Genes 50:442-445.
- Foshee, III, W.G., Monday, T.A., Blythe, E.K., Murphy, J.F., Kelley, M.J., Sibley, J.L., and Brown, J.E. 2015. Ability of colored mulches and growtubes to deter thrips and reduce incidence of Tomato spotted wilt virus. Acta Horticulturae 1069:197-201.
- Velasquez, N., and Murphy, J.F. 2014. A Tobacco etch virus NW isolate that overcomes pvr1 and pvr12 resistance in Capsicum sp. Plant Pathology 63:675-683.
- Ryu, C-M, Choi, H.K., Lee, C-O, Murphy, J.F., Lee, J.K., and Kloepper, J.W. 2013. Modulation of quorum sensing in acyl-homoserine lactone-producing or -degrading tobacco plants leads to alteration of induced systemic resistance elicited by the rhizobacterium Serratia marcescens 90-166. Plant Pathology Journal 29: 182-192.
- Perez, K., Yeam, I., Kang, B-C., Ripoll, D.R., Kim, J., Murphy, J.F., and Jahn, M.M. 2012. Tobacco etch virus infectivity in Capsicum spp. is determined by a maximum of three amino acids in the viral virulence determinant VPg. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 25:1562-1573.
- Hadi, B.A.R., Flanders, K.L., Bowen, K.L., Murphy, J.F., and Blount, A.R. 2012. Survey of Barley Yellow Dwarf Virusand Cereal Yellow Dwarf Virus on Three Perennial Pasture Grasses in Florida. Journal of Entomological Science 47:35-43.
- Velasquez, N., Murphy, J.F., and Suh, S-J. 2012. Electroporetic transfection of pepper protoplasts with plant Potyviruses. Journal of Virological Methods 179:154-160.
- Sikora, E.J., Murphy, J.F., Lawrence, K.S., and Mullen, J.M. 2011. Survey of fungal, nematode and virus diseases of soybean in Alabama. Plant Health Progress doi:10.1094/PHP-2011-1227-01-RS
- Hadi, B.A.R., Flanders, K., Murphy, J.F., Bowen, K., and Halbert, S. 2011. Species Composition of the Aphid Vectors (Hemiptera: Aphididae) of Barley yellow dwarf virus and Cereal yellow dwarf virus in Alabama and Western Florida.Journal of Economic Entomology 104: 1167-1173.
- Masiri, J., Velasquez, N., and Murphy, J.F. 2011. Cucumber mosaic virus 2b-deficient mutant has a limited, symptomless systemic infection of bell pepper (Capsicum annuum L.). Plant Disease 95:331-336.
- Croxton, S.D., Foshee, III, W.G., Blythe, E.K., Murphy, J.F. and Sibley, J.L. 2011. Evaluation of selected tempera paints applied to tomatoes to reduce the occurrence of Tomato spotted wilt virus. International Journal of Vegetable Science17:177-189.