Ronald H. Smith
Areas of Interest:
- Cotton Pest Management, management of arthropod pests of soybeans, aerial application of pesticides, training of cotton scouts and private consultants.
|1970||Ph.D., Auburn University (Entomology)|
|1966||M.S., Auburn University (Agronomy and Soils)|
|1964||B.S., Auburn University (Agricultural Science)|
Department and Professional Responsibilities:
|1972-Present||Coordinator, Alabama Cotton Pest Management Program|
|1986-1987||Interim Head, Department of Entomology, Auburn University|
|1985||Chair, Section E, Entomological Society of America|
|1976-1977||Acting Head, Pest Management Staff Group|
|Member, 24-C Committee for review of State Pesticide Labels and FIFRA Section 18 Emergency Use Requests|
|Past Vice-Chairperson, Beltwide Technical Advisory Committee for the Boll Weevil Eradication Program|
|Past Member, ESA Awards Committee for the Distinguished Achievement Award In Extension|
- 2001 – Distinguished Achievement Award in Extension, SEB-ESA
- 1997 – Deans Award for Outstanding Contribution to Agriculture
- 1995 – Award for Excellence in Outreach and Extension, Auburn University
- 1987 – Honorary Member, Alabama Agricultural Aviation Association
- 1979 – ACES Award for Excellence in Agriculture
- 1978 – Outstanding Extension Entomologist, SEB-ESA
- Contributions to National Agricultural Media (1996-2002): 129.
- Symposia and Conference Publications (1972-2002): 41.
- Papers Presented at Symposia, Workshops, Conferences, and Professional Meetings (1972-2002): 229.
- Articles Published in Regional/National Agricultural Media (1972-1996): 595.
- Smith, Ronald H. and Wiley C. Johnson. 1969. “Effect of Boron on White Clover Nectar Production,” Journal of Crop Science, Vol. 9. January-February.
- Smith, Ronald H. and Max H. Bass. 1972. “Survey of Heliothis spp. Infestations in Soybeans in Alabama,” Journal of Economic Entomology, Vol. 64, No. e, pp. 767-769
- Smith, Ronald H. and Max H. Bass. 1972. “Soybean Response to Various Levels of Podworm, Heliothis Zea, Damage,” Journal of Economic Entomology, Vol. 65, No. 1, February, pp. 193-195.
- Smith, Ronald H. and Max. H. Bass. 1972. “Relationship of Artificial Pod Removal to Soybean Yields,” Journal of Economic Entomology, Vol. 65, No. 2, April, pp. 606-608.
- Smith, Ronald H. 1974. “Alabama Cotton Pest Management Program,” Abstract, Journal Alabama Academy of Science, Vol. 45, No. 3.
- Boutwell, John L. and Ronald H. Smith. 1981. “A New Concept in Evaluation Integrated Pest Management Programs,” Bulletin of the Entomological Society of America, XXVII (June), pp. 117-18.
- Ronald H. Smith, John L. Boutwell, and James W. Allen, 1983. “Evaluating Practice Adoption: One Approach,” Journal of Extension, Vol. XXI, Sept./Oct., p. 34-39.
- Ron H. Smith. 1998. “Pest Problems ” The Impact of Bollgard Technology and Boll Weevil Eradication on Cotton IPM in Alabama,”Highlights of Agricultural Research, Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station, Vol. 45, No. 4.
- Cotton Insects and Mites: Characterization and Management. The Cotton Foundation Reference Book Series No. 3. “Insect and Mite Pest Management in the Southeast.” NCC of America, Memphis, TN, Ron H. Smith, Contributing Author.
- Boll Weevil Eradication in the United States Through 1999. The Cotton Foundation Reference Book Series No. 6. “Boll Weevil Eradication in Alabama,” National Cotton Council of America, Memphis, TN. Ron H. Smith, Contributing Author.
- Smith, Ronald H. “;Managing Cotton Insects.”; Circular ANR-409. 1974. Cooperative Extension Service, Auburn University.
- Ron H. Smith; et. al., Integrated Pest Management Programs for the State Cooperative Extension Services “; Future Priorities.1978. A Report of the Extension Committee on Policy, ES-USDA, Washington, D.C.
- Smith, Ronald H. “;Cotton Pest Management in the Southern United States.”; 1981. ACES Circular 194, Auburn University. Served as chairman of writing committee and prepared much of section on cotton insect management in the South.
- Smith, Ronald H., Barry Freeman and Wheeler Foshee, “Soybean Loopers: Late Season Foliage Feeders on Cotton,” Ala. Ext.Circular ANR-843, June 1994.
- Smith, Ronald H. and Barry L. Freeman, “Alabama Plan for the Management of Beet Armyworms,” Ala. Ext. Circular ANR-842, May 1994.
- Smith, Ronald H. and Barry L. Freeman, “Fall Armyworms: Consistent Cotton Pests,” Ala. Ext. Circular ANR-892, August 1994.
- Smith, Ronald H. “;Stink Bugs: New Economic Pests of Cotton,”; Ala. Ext. Circular ANR-882, August 1994.
- Smith, Ronald H. and Barry L. Freeman. “European Corn Borers,” ACES Circular ANr-900, May 1995.
- Leonard, Roger and Ronald Smith. “IPM and Environmental Impacts of Bt Cotton ” A New Era of Crop Protection and Consumer Benefits.” 2000. Monsanto Corp., St. Louis, MO.
Last Updated: May 09, 2013
205 Extension Hall
Auburn University, AL 36849
Auburn University, AL 36849