AREAS OF INTEREST
Forest Insect-Plant Interactions, Influence of plant nutrition on phytophagous insects, gall-forming insects.
|1968||Ph.D., Purdue University (Entomology)|
|1965||M.S., Central Michigan University (Zoology)|
|1963||B.S., Central Michigan University (Cum Laude) (Biology)|
- 2006-Present – Professor Emeritus, Department of Entomolgoy, Auburn University
- 1995-2006 – Professor, Department of Entomology, Auburn University, and Coordinator, Alabama Gypsy Moth Survey Program
- 1987-1995 – Professor and Head, Department of Entomology, Auburn University
- 1992-1993 – Acting Associate Dean, International Programs, Auburn University
- 1984-1987 – Professor and Head, Department of Entomology, Montana State University
- 1968-1984 – Assistant Professor, Associate Professor (1973) and Professor (1979) Entomology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2003 – NACTA – National Teaching Award of Merit
- 2002 – NACTA – National Teaching Fellow Award
- 2001 – Distinguished Teaching Award – Entomological Society of America, Southeastern Branch
- 2000 – Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence – Auburn University
- 1999 – Alumni Undergraduate Teaching Excellence Award – Auburn University
- 1998 – Who’s Who in Teaching – Who’s Who in America’s Teaching Publication
- 1987 – Faculty Teaching Award – Montana State University Honors Program
- 2003, 2004, 2005 – Extramural Funding Award – Alabama Cooperative Extension System
- 1996 – NATO Travel award to Prague, Czech Republic
- 1987 – U.S. National Academy of Science Exchange Scientist, Ceske Budejovice, Czechoslovakia, July – August 1
- 1983 – U.S. National Academy of Science Exchange Scientist, Prague, Czechoslovakia, May – September
- 1983 – Visiting Scientist, Laboratoire de Cecidologie, Louis Pasteur Universite, Strasbourg, France, October – January
- 1979 – U.S. National Academy of Science Exchange Scientist, Prague, Czechoslovakia, May – September
- 1978 – U.S. National Academy of Science Exchange Scientist, Prague, Czechoslovakia, May – Jun
- Past Associate Editor – Southern Journal Applied Forestry, resigned 2006
- Co-Contributing Editor, American Entomologist, Entomological Society of America, resigned 2006
- Board of Directors, Organization for Tropical Studies, resigned 2006
- Past Chairman, CSRS Southern Regional Advisory Committee 12
- Brewer, J.W., K.M. O’Neill and R.E. Deshon, Jr. 1987. Effects of artificially altered foliar nitrogen levels on development and survival of young instars of western spruce budworm. Z. agnew. Entomol. 104:121-130.
- Brewer, J.W. and V Skuhravy. 1989. Survey of major foliar chemicals in insect-induced galls. Cecid. Inter. 3:65-74.
- Birch, M.L., J.W. Brewer, O. Rohfritsch. 1992. The Effect of Gall Formation on the Host Plant. Chapter 17. In: Biology of Insect and Acarina Induced Galls. J.D. Shorthouse and O. Rohfritsch (Eds.) Oxford Press, New York, 285 p.
- Skuhravy, V., M. Skuhrava and W. Brewer. 1993. The saddle gall midge, Haplodiplosis marginata(Diptera: Cecidomyidae) in the Czech Republic and the Slovac Republic. Act. Soc. Zool. Bohem. 57:117-137.
- Brewer, J.W., V. Skuhravy and Pavel Hrubik. 1994. Levels of major foliar chemicals in needles of Pinus mugo in Bohemian peat bogs. Ekol. Bratislava 13 (3) 235-246.
- Skuhravy, V., M. Skuhrava and J.W. Brewer. 1996. Some survival adaptations of gall-inducing midges (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae). J. Appl. Ent. 120:237-239.
- Skuhravy, V., M. Skuhrava and J.W. Brewer. 1997. Gall midges (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) associated with Populus tremula, P. tremuloides and their hybrid (Salicaceae). J. Appl. Ent. 121:315-320.
- Hrubik, P., V. Skuhravy and J. W. Brewer. 1998. Susceptibility of 10 Taxa of Boxwood (Buxus spp.) to attacks of the gall midge Monarthropalpus flavus Shrank, (M. buxi Lab.) (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) in 8-year Experiments. Acta horticulurae et regiontecturae 2:. 33-35.
- Eager, T. A., C. W. Berisford, M. J. Dalusky, D.G. Nielsen, J. W. Brewer, S. J. Hilty and R. A. Haack. 2002. Susceptibility of some southern pines to the larger pine shoot beetle, Tomicus pinipera (L) Coleoptera:Scolytidae. J. Econ. Entomol. Submitted.
- DeBarr, G. J., J. W. Brewer, C. W. Berisford and M. Dalusky. 2002. Pheromone traps for the Nantucket Pine Tip Moth Rhyacionia frustrana (Comstock). U.S.F.S. p Moth Rhyacionia frustrana (Comstock). U.S.F.S. General Technology Report. SRS – 51.
WORLD WIDE WEB PUBLICATIONS:
- Brewer, Wayne. 1998.The Asian Woolly Hackberry Aphid, A New Aphid Species in Alabama.
- Brewer, Wayne, Patricia Cobb, and Mary Baltikauski. 1998. Bark Lice: A Pest Of Oak Trees.
- J.W. Brewer, R.E. Stevens and D.A. Leatherman. 1999. Douglas-Fir Tussock Moths. Colorado State University Cooperative Extension.
- D.A. Leatherman, J.W. Brewer and R.E. Stevens. 1999. Western Spruce Budworms.Colorado State University Cooperative Extension.